Sunday, October 21, 2018

Why Don't You Get Help?

Well, I am back again, friends! Today I want to share with you why it took me SO LONG to get the help that I needed. I want to preface it with this: I am not going to judge myself or anyone else on their journey to find the help they need. Each of us struggles and each of us has to listen to God in order to find our path to help and recovery. I wouldn't change my journey because of all that I have learned, even if I do wish that I had sought professional help sooner. I don't know that I would have learned some of the things I did learn if I had gotten help sooner!

With that said, I will tell you why I didn't get help sooner. It's because for a very long time, I didn't realize that how I felt was not normal. I lived through all of childhood and adolescence with huge amounts of anxiety being told I would probably grow out of it by many people. So, I decided that once I got to college (the first time around), I had grown out of it! But I hadn't.

I also believed that if I relied on the Lord, He would take my issues away. I didn't have a clear understanding of what my mental health issues really were or what help I could truly receive. I felt that I should be able to overcome everything through prayer, etc. But, while prayer helps, I will still have trials and troubles that need attention from professionals.

So, what should you say to someone who is struggling to realize they need help? That you are there for them. Ask them what THEY think would help them. Only give suggestions about therapy and medication if you are asked. If the person mentions suicidal thoughts, talk to them about it. Talk to them about how they are feeling. Ask if they have a plan. If they do, explain to them that you feel that a professional should be contacted. Do all of this with LOVE, not as a way to control them. Many people dealing with mental health issues already feel controlled by their thoughts and issues. They need to feel loved.

Although I read the KJV of the Bible, I feel this translation of
1 Corinthians 16:14 is a better fit for this post.
This is a FREE printable for you to use FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY.
Right click and save, then print as an 8" x 10" print.

There were so many times I wish someone would have just been willing to talk to me and really hear how I was feeling. Mental health does not have to be a taboo, friends. We can help others realize that mental health issues effect each of us at one time or another and allow them to talk! This brings me to the end of this post because it's the perfect jumping off post for the topic I want to write about next--HOW I was helped by others into therapy and medication. Until then, I pray that peace and the love of Christ will guide your path!


No comments: