Sunday, December 2, 2018

The Importance of Service

If you read along, you will know that last Sunday my grandfather passed away. He was an amazing man, always serving those around him. Although he endured some unthinkable things during his life, he always found joy in helping those around him. His greatest misgiving about aging was that he could no longer perform all the service he had once been able to provide. His greatest desire was that he would be an instrument in the Lord's hands. He succeeded.

As I have thought about what brings joy during my difficult bouts of anxiety, I realize it is focusing on others and providing service. It hasn't always been big. Ok, it's rarely big. But when I serve, my focus changes and anxiety doesn't have as much room to grow because I am, for lack of a better word, distracted by service. Isn't that a wonderful way to be distracted?

I've contemplated a lot on how the Savior could endure everything He had to endure. I realize it was because EVERYTHING He did was an act of service. His focus was never on himself. It was on us, His brothers and sisters. When we focus our lives on helping others, I firmly believe that all the things that are impeding our way become less difficult to endure.

Now, this doesn't mean that focusing on service is going to just magically wave a wand over your anxiety or depression and make it disappear. But it can help you in difficult times. As I have continued to reflect on my journey with anxiety, I realize that it was service that led me to get the help I needed. Others, especially my husband and friend, Kim, served me in ways that I needed so that I could get help AND serve others around me. Their support and service allowed me to serve and then find help that would enable me to return to serving others without as much help needed. Hopefully that makes sense. At this point, I am literally just typing as I am thinking. ;)

If you are struggling to think about a way to serve, here is a list of simple things that I have found help brighten others' days and also bring joy to my own life:
  1. Smile.
  2. Send a thank you text/card.
  3. Call someone to check in.
  4. Make your spouse's favorite dinner/dessert.
  5. Open the door for someone.
  6. Give a hug.
  7. Give a genuine compliment.
  8. Pray for someone.
  9. Take a treat to a friend.
  10. Give a child a high-five.
Not all service has to be known to the person receiving it. Sometimes my favorite acts of service have been the ones performed in secrecy. I feel like doing this sometimes allows the recipient to feel the Lord's love more fully because they don't have to focus on thanking me. Just a thought. :)

 Here's this week's printable.

This is a FREE printable for you to use FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY.
Right click and save, then print as a 8" x 10" print.
So, here is my thought for the day, wrapped up and tied neatly in a box: When you serve, your anxiety and depressions might not disappear, but it will become more bearable. Go about doing good, friends. Until next time, sending love and peace to each of you!


No comments: