Sunday, December 30, 2018

The Importance of Routines

Image result for routine

Hello again, friends! I'm back with another post sharing with you ways that I have found help with my anxiety. Today I want to talk about the importance of routines. I am one who definitely NEEDS a routine. When I have too much unstructured time, I think too much and I start to become very anxious. While I do enjoy breaks away from work, they tend to also bring a lot of anxiety and worry into my life. Solution? Routine! 

I'm not saying that you should have every single minute of every day planned, but you should have some regular routines at specific times of day that you can look forward to and rely on. I have three times a day that I try to keep to a regular routine: morning, lunch time, and right before bed. These three routines help ground me throughout the day and give me time to reflect and rest. I try to stick to a pretty regular routine, even on the weekends. 

Daily, my morning routine includes prayer, scripture study, breakfast, taking my medication and other supplements, and then heading to work. When I don't have to work, I try to make sure I have things planned to do during the day so that I can look forward to that instead of worry about what might happen later on. Starting the day the same way helps me to feel more in control of my feelings and life. When I wake up too late to perform part of my routine, I do see a difference in my day.

My lunch time routine (especially at work) includes eating for at least 20 minutes while doing NOTHING. This gives my brain time to rest and focus to prepare for the afternoon at work, and gives me time to reflect on the rest of my day on the weekends. Taking a break in the middle of the day to just sit and be also helps me to remember that my peace of mind is important, because, as a teacher, my mood influences my students and others around me. I want to stay positive for them, which in turn helps me to feel positive about myself!

In the evening, I again read my scriptures, journal about the day and what I am grateful for, pray, and try to wind down with no TV or other device for at least 20 minutes before I go to bed. During the work week, putting away devices earlier helps me to reflect on what will need to happen either that evening or the next morning in order for me to be productive and feel in control.

Now, although I try very hard to stay on this routine, things happen. I get sick, my plans are derailed by other, more important tasks, or I choose to spend more down time than originally planned so that I can feel more calm. Luckily, my medication helps me take this in stride a lot better than I did before being on it.

So, my advice to those who have anxiety that makes them feel out of control? Begin a routine or set of routines. Stick with it! Although it will be difficult at first, the more you work at keeping things consistent, the easier it will be to roll with the punches when they inevitably come your way. 

That's all I have for you today, friends! Sorry for no print this week, but we have been recovering from a stomach bug and other sickness, which helped me reflect on the importance of a routine! ;) Until next time, I wish you all peace and harmony as you work to find balance!

No comments: